Sunday, September 13, 2009

We survived the fires!

We got several calls during all of the fires that were going on, checking to see if we were OK. The answer was a resounding yes, we never even smelled smoke.

I (Brett) started school the last week of August, which is exciting since this is the last year at Talbot. I've got a good schedule this year, Hebrew 3, Old Testament Survey, Field Internship, and Biblical Leadership & Management. Along with the help of a good friend, Phil Jensen, I am starting a ministry called "the Door." It is a sexual integrity ministry for men at Talbot and in La Mirada. We are very excited about the ministry, and our first meeting is the upcoming Friday. We are also still serving as the chaplain to the Biola Athletic Ministry, which has more students involved than ever before. This year should be very interesting.

A sad thing happened in our family this past week. My aunt Kevelynn Durham, wife of my dad's deceased brother, Bob, passed away on September 5, leaving behind three children (Jessica, 31, Susan, 28, and Donovan 26) and two grand-children (Kaylan, 10, and Andrew, 4). Kev was 54, and passed away from complications from a disease called Scleroderma.

I flew up to Maryland to officiate the service last week, and arrived last night. It was a difficult funeral since my cousins now have no living parent, and also because my father was in Columbia and was the one who officiated uncle Bob's funeral service. Please continue to pray for my cousins that the Lord would heal and comfort their hearts and draw them closer to himself.

No comments: